In a previous post (Cooking up deployments on stacked clouds) I looked at using UrbanCode Deploy with OpenStack and Chef. I showed one way of creating a stack from a Heat template, injecting the UCD agent and Chef into one of the newly provisioned servers, cooking a Chef recipe and deploying an application on it. This time round I look at how to do almost the same thing with VMware vSphere.
Managing database schema changes can be a non-trivial task. Very often the danger associated with potential bad changes being deployed makes DBAs very protective of their territories and resistant to changing tried and true methods.
However, the push towards more Agile development methods, adoption of DevOps practices and Continuous Delivery capabilities is including database development in its embrace; the last 10 years or so has seen a lot of work towards aligning database development with application development best practices. That said, there are probably quite a few organisations out there where the normal practice for deploying database changes is to use some sort of “list of instructions” and various GUI DB tools with maybe some scripts thrown in. Even adopting practices such as SCM and CI can appear daunting.
Calling Rational Team Concert an old dog isn’t fair – it’s only just over 5 years old – and I mean it in the nicest possible way in the context of the Jazz Jumpstart team being “old”, and the Rational Emerging Technologies Team, well, “emerging”.
Anywho, as is my wont, I was going through what could be in the next CLM release, noticed the bit about Rational Team Concert Build and IBM UrbanCode Deploy and decided to try out this “emerging” feature with Rational Team Concert 4.0.5 RC1.
We’ve always had pets since I was very young: dogs, cats, cows, goats, rabbits, a fox that escaped and wiped out the rabbits; even a “Bambi” that disappeared, though we had some fantastic chilli venison a couple of nights later. “Popo” was one of a long line of dogs we’ve had; a mostly unremarkable Pomeranian; memorable for the fact that the day he was given to us, he was so terrified of his new surroundings and all us kids squealing over him that he jumped up on mum’s lap and did “his business” on her:-)
My previous post on populating and testing a large Jazz repository could be tested with JMeter was primarily focused on the Work Item capability in RTC. I also needed to populate the repository with lots of SCM data and rather than take the “dumb” (ie. random) path as I had done with the Work Items, I wanted to use a more “realistic” set of artifacts.
I didn’t have to look very far: the Android platform which has apparently become the leading smart phone platform (canalys.com) and 300+ million Android-based smartphone activations (prweb.com). There are already a bunch of posts on Jim’s blog and Jazz.net on how to use RTC for Android app development, so I turned my attention to the Android Platform source, from the AOSP, which proves to be a different kettle of fish when it comes to SCM.
Continuing my journey on the JMeter road, I found Jmeter has a number of other features that help to make Test Plans more generic and useful.
Tox wrote (is writing) a series on monitoring Jazz performance. Timely indeed as I’ve been working out just how a CLM server performs under load : a single-tier server holding about 3 million Work Items, with 300+ project areas, 3000 registered users (upto 500 concurrent with 20% of them raising ~5 work items an hour ), 50+ GB of SCM content (120 components, 300 streams).